The Happy Prince - Handbook on Statecraft

 From History of Castoria Post-Pre-Cambrian Times


The election just before the Great Recession suggested merit in looking at national affairs with a sunny, happy bent, leading the new administration to codify this practice in policy and law. The Dominion of Castoria and its citizens, including opponents of the governing party, were required to be officially happy about all decisions as illustrated by  Parliamentary Debates and smiling faces in grainy photos of the destitute and displaced from that era. 



44TH PARLIAMENT of Castoria, 22ND SESSION
UndeR SUnnY WAYS PRocedures
HANSARD • NUMBER 117
CONTENTS
FRIDAY, JUNE 20
Speaker: The Honourable Gladys Soul
Statements by Members

Environmental Issues
Mr. O.I. Ken Babble (Persphone-Shellburn, Conservative Party of Castoria)

    Mr. Speaker, when I was in university earning my graduate degree in Ecology and Environmental Dialogue, the future of Castoria seemed mighty grim.  The beavers were disappearing, rivers ran with toxins, and the land was so poisoned we dared not walk outside without thick soled shoes.

    Today it is pretty much the same.

    And I kind of gave up that environmental stuff after graduation to pursue matters related to my election as  a city councillor, as a mayor and now as a member of our Parliament.

     But yesterday, my past came back to me with the unveiling of the Prime Minister’s National Green Thinking and Talking Plan.  As an opposition  member, I am humbled by the vision the plan hints at, the possible ideas for action it suggests, and all the photographs of clean things.  

For me, it is with a dynamic sense of cheerfulness that I can tell my constituents that we have a plan that will create work for those young people now studying the methods and theory of talking about environmental issues.  I may resign to make my seat available to someone who can more easily promote the Prime Minister’s propositions.

Thank you, Mr. Speaker.
Hear, hear.  Pound desk, Pound desk.
Oral Questions
Code of Conduct
Hon. Pierre Pablom (Leader of the Opposition):
   
    Mr. Speaker, my question is for the Prime Minister.

It pertains to Castoria’s Parliamentary Code and the importance of appearances as well as fact in the conduct of personal affairs in the work of this House.

Did the Prime Minister recently get a haircut or is he just combing his hair in a new manner ? There’s something different, but I just can’t put my finger on it.  It is certainly becoming and suits him well.

I noticed it yesterday when he was speaking of the sharp rise in interest rates and the excitement this has generated in the stock markets and unemployment lines.

Right Honourable Justin Time (Prime Minister of Castoria)  

    Mr. Speaker, on the contrary, the Leader of the Opposition, is the one who should be singled out today in the House for his new tie.  I can’t say for certain from here but it appears to be a William Morris print.  Goes very nicely with his shirt.  As for my hair, I have not had it cut since my trip to the Nation of Bux when I slipped out of those stressful trade talks to stroll along their Capital Mall.  I didn’t know they had coiffeurs there.  Who would have known ?  I was told it was mainly souvenir shops and clothing stores.  Thank you, Mr. Speaker.

 Hon. Pierre Pablom (Leader of the Opposition):

Mr. Speaker, I have supplementary for the Prime Minister.   Did the Prime Minister buy those new socks while abroad ? I have been looking for something like those for months, and you just can’t seem to find them anywhere in Castoria – and whatever you are doing to your hair, keep it up.

Right Honourable Justin Time (Prime Minister of Castoria)   

Mr. Speaker, I hope I don’t sound evasive, but I can’t remember.  I have so many pairs of interesting socks.  It is, as this House knows, one of my passions, and passion is what drives me in my work on behalf of this once great country and in my commitment to happy sunniness no matter the misery of specific circumstance.

Hear, hear.  Pound desk, Pound desk.