Jane Austen meets Stephen Leacock on the way to Downton Abbey


Talk of Jane Austen and twists in English roads started to wear on me a bit after a few weeks in Britain, but Michele really wanted to visit Jane’s home and museum in Chawton.  

Michele loves Austen books like Pride and Prejudice that celebrate competent, strong women who had a certain kind of equality with men despite the constraints and customs of their times. I liked her plot twists and humour.

“You know it’s been at the top of my wish list since we first started planning this trip,” she said to make the point with pleading eyes.

Mustering modest enthusiasm, I conceded that this would be a good use of one of our rental car days, and together we plotted the 300 km route to Jane’s house and back. In Googling the precise address, my eyes fell not on the streets and intersections, but rather the name of the county – Hampshire.

It’s one of those “Ceremonial Counties” that enjoys distinction both in geography and history. There's a lot to see in Hampshire.  But for many years, I’ve known it almost exclusively as the birthplace of humorist and academic Stephen Leacock: a bit of ground that I and many other Canadians might consider hallowed on the level of Austen’s cottage.

Until recently, I didn’t think I’d ever get to visit this place.

First of all, Leacock chose to be born inconveniently in a country and a house situated across the Atlantic Ocean, and second, I wasn’t even sure the house still existed.

In researching matters related to Leacock a few years back, I came across some old clippings and references that suggested the home may no longer stand or, at least, would be tough to find.  A century or so ago, it may have been even harder as Leacock himself seemed uncertain of its location.  

In early autobiographical notes, Leacock said he was born in “Swanmore, a suburb of Ryde in the Isle of Wight on 30th December 1869,” believing that the Swanmore of his birth was the one near the Leacock family estate in Ryde.  But as explained  by former Leacock Museum Curator Ralph Curry, “A search of church records … proved he was born … at (another town named) Swanmore (in the) county of Hampshire,” a place where Leacock’s father made one of his failed attempts at farming.

This confusion had been cleared up long before I took an interest in Leacock.  The reason I had believed the place might not be findable rested on an archived article written by Leacock scholar David Staines in April 1992 for the newsletter Mariposa Newspacket.
In it, Staines reported that the Hampshire house was, at the time, sitting “empty, awaiting a buyer willing to pay the asking price of one-half million pounds.”  A lot of money, particularly in 1992, and the town residents believed the purchase could only be justified by “a local developer … (who was) planning to … tear down the home and build a series of modern townhouses.”

Staines described the location of the house as being just up the street from the parish church, and when out of curiosity I checked it on Google Street View, sure enough a series of modern townhouses sat on the spot. If I looked hard enough on the web at the time, I might have found other evidence of the home’s fate. But not planning a trip to this part of the world, I just assumed that there was nothing to see and set the issue aside until this year, when the possibility of a two-month stay in south west England materialized.

I sent an email to the general information address of the local government summarizing the above background and asking about the house.  I did not receive a reply for weeks, but when it arrived, it came from Frank Pearson, the 819th Mayor of the City of Winchester and a City Councillor representing Central Meon Valley, the Ward that contains Swanmore in Hampshire.  In our exchanges, he shared the following.

Yes, he was born in Swanmore -  in Leacock House, Church Road - Swanmore,” he said proudly emphasizing it with a second Swanmore in the sentence. “The house is to the west of St Barnabas Church and still stands, it is a listed building and has a plaque on its wall recording that the Leacock family lived there.”

Mayor Pearson wanted to elaborate on Leacock’s Hampshire connections.

“Though the Leacock side of the family came from Madeira and the Isle of Wight, the
The Butlers (his Mother’s family) were from Hambledon in Hampshire and their family home is still standing,” he told me. “Stephen’s mother’s father was for a time a curate at Soberton Church, also in Hampshire, and there is a plaque on the wall of the church recording that.”

All this Hampshire stuff is known to Leacock scholars and people like the staff at the Leacock Museum in Orillia, I am sure.  But it was news to me, and the sum prompted me to think again about a visit to Leacock’s birthplace.

I clicked into Google Street View again.  Again, I couldn’t find the house. My clicking finger went up and down the street, looking from all directions and all sides without any luck. I kept coming across those townhouses that had dissuaded me from the venture before.

So, even though I didn’t doubt the good mayor’s words, I shelved the idea of making a trip to Hampshire’s Swanmore, thinking it would mean complicated public transport connections and would might demand accommodations, perhaps for a couple of nights, with no guarantee of success and, at best, the possibility of glimpsing a roof over some hedges. I re-read Leacock’s My Discovery of England and thought of other places instead.

But, on this day, with a rental car and a drive to Hampshire in the works, I reconsidered.

“I know I whined a bit about coming to Chawton,” I said holding the iPhone and standing next to Jane’s writing table in the museum. “But with an hour detour, we could try to see Leacock’s birthplace.”

The charm of the Austen house put Michele in a forgiving mood, and she volunteered to co-pilot us over the winding roads in a loop that would cut the length of the detour and, coincidentally, bring us back to Winchester and the cathedral that is Jane Austen’s final resting place.

In Swanmore, we parked by the church.  Michele sat in the car while I walked up the street.

Within a few seconds, I found Leacock’s home and discovered the reason I couldn’t spot it on Street View.  The front of the house points at a right angle to the road and its entrance is a path under some trees that block any view from the street.  

Not that it is hidden, the gate carries the words “Leacock House.” In checking later, I realized that the gate was open and not visible the day that the Google team drove by taking Street View photos.

For me, the detour and effort were worth it.  The house is as English country cute as you would hope and seems like the kind of place that could spawn a kindly, but quirky view of the world.  It also has a large plaque installed by the Government of Ontario.  This gave me a feeling of Canadian pride and extra confidence in the home’s likely survival as a treasured site.

Torn between not wanting to impose on the owners and not wanting to presume the right to take photos inside the gate, I rang the doorbell.  With no answer, I turned and shuffled toward the car. Looking back, I recognized the image of the house and trees as identical to what I had seen before in researching the place. I decided that a duplicate in my iPhone would not constitute a new intrusion and tapped the screen.

“Maybe, we’ve seen enough dead writer stuff for the day,” I said back on the road and coming up to the A34 highway. With a sigh, Michele agreed to skipping Winchester and Jane’s remains.

This put me in a guilty mood, and though tired of watching for cars coming around corners and lorries coming up from behind, I had no will to fight when a half hour up the road Michele spotted road signs and squealed, “Hey, it’s Highclere !!”

We had not expected to pass Highclere Castle, the enormous country house now famous as the filming location for the television series Downton Abbey, and although British tourism promotes it vigorously, it seemed like a location best accessed by tour out of London.

“I didn’t think I’d ever get to visit this place,” said Michele with words that echoed my long held thoughts about Leacock House.  We pulled off the highway, followed the signs, parked in the field, and walked in the footsteps of the Crawley family and their staff.

Michele sipped tea, and I played her valet, grateful for her indulgence on the Leacock diversion.

“Thanks for that,” Michele said. “But we both got to see special places today by working as a travel team and going down funny detours and twisting roads.”

“Yeah, very romantic and cute,” I said. “Jane and Stephen would approve.”


October 2018