August 9th - Worst Day of My Imaginary Life



August 9th is the anniversary of the worst day of my imaginary life.  

That day in 1995, Jerry Garcia died for the second and final time, taking my psychological safety net and a sliver of my soul with him into the grave.

For most of my prior life, I knew that if work, studies, or life got too tough, I could always drop out and disappear into the sea of “Deadheads,” the drifting fans and followers of the Grateful Dead.

The option of being a Deadhead was always open to me.  I was not committed to any particular kind of music so the Dead’s mix of rock, country, jazz, folk, and other stuff made a perfect track for my imaginary plans.   I didn’t mind sleeping on the ground, my hair was always ready to grow too long, and I didn’t want to do anybody any harm.  So,  I knew that when the time came, all I’d have to do was walk down the road until I caught up with the Dead in concert.

Having this kind of fallback plan meant I never faced the claustrophobia of despair that visited the innately serious of my generation: those people who stressed out, burned out, and seemed bummed out all the time. 

I thought that I had it made.

Then, Jerry died in a persistent way, the Dead diminished, and the daydream started to dry up, flake, and, finally, float away.

I was left with the hard reality of a life trapped in the real world. 
It was unsettling and grim.  But a strange thing happened.  Under pressure, I started to look harder at my problems and recognize the root curled back and pointed to me and my daydreaming ways.  Where once there was the smoky haze of drifting contemplation, I saw solutions and need to act.

It changed me and my real world life dramatically.  I haven’t given up on becoming a Deadhead; I have chosen not to be one.

Yeah,  August 9th –  Sad - but it’s kind of like a birthday for me.

(I still love the music - and You gotta love Colorado Street Musician Mark Flynn above).