How I became a full-time writer


A lot of people ask “How can I become a full-time writer when I have to pay the rent, feed my grubby kids, and sleep a bit every day ?”

They don’t ask me -  but I see on the Internet that they do ask other people. 

 So, I have taken it upon myself to provide the following answers because, until I can get another job in government, I am a full-time writer: I type out everything that comes into my head and e-publish it for worldwide potential consumption.  I am writing right now -  and now - and even now.

Writing full-time was my dream every since I first began dreaming about writing and doing it all the time.  The thought that my dream could become reality took hold a few years ago when I realized that I was already typing something no matter where I was and what I was supposed to be doing.

Whether eating at a restaurant or sitting in my cubicle at work, I typed words or at least word-like collections of letters and symbols into my phone, onto my tablet, or like now onto the screen of my laptop when I am sitting and taking care of bodily functions.

I have found that the key to becoming a full-time writer is commitment, some kind of writing device, and a desire to avoid interaction with other humans. 

Initially, I hesitated for fear that this writing thing might require a lot of thinking and study.  But the very first quote I read about the craft of writing gave me the assurance I needed.

A Castorian political economist explained, “Writing is no trouble: you just jot down ideas as they occur to you. The jotting is simplicity itself--it is the occurring which is difficult.”

So, I skip the occurring stuff and just constantly jot.

Try it.  It’s easy,